Sunday, January 11, 2015

365 Leaves : numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

I've undertaken various Project 365 ideas in the past - in photographs, fabric, yarn. I'm not sure if I will confine this one to a calendar year, or Just Do It as the whim takes me (several today, none tomorrow...).

But I've been thinking about leaves for a while. Maybe a crochet leaves project (I seem to have collected some green wools with this in mind...). I've been looking at crochet patterns for leaves, of which there are not a few.

And it makes sense to photograph leaves. Surely I can find 365 leaves to inspire me. It's also a lens for a default daily photograph subject (itself a good mindfulness exercise...).

I know, this is the third time for this photo. But it's also such a good start. Green and grey-green and bruise-purple and bruise-yellow and plum-raspberry; and the chewed edges, and spots, and the variety of shapes, narrow/broad, long/rounded. And the grey-white stalk. So much to see and consider. All on the one small start of a tree.

 

And here are some more, caught after a day of rain. Same thing happening, nature's intriguing game of not-repeating, same-yet-different.

 

So, #365leaves, numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Three hundred and sixty more to find... A year of hunting leaves. Hunting a year of leaves. Keeping my eyes open. Looking.

There's an element of wabi-sabi in this for me, too. Those imperfect leaves are as beautiful as the perfect ones; if not more so.

  1. Wabi-sabi (侘寂 ?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".
  2. Wabi-sabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

 

 

(Photos are taken via Hipstamatic app, Kodot Grizzled film and John S lens).

 

No comments: