Saturday, October 17, 2009

Garden progress: perseverance


The garden bed after clearing.
.

The garden bed after planting.
.
Now in a couple of months....
.
As I spent time on the dollhouse/scrapbooking cupboard (painting the record cupboard in particular was awkward, with those narrow slots) and weeding/clearing this garden bed, in which boston fern baubles seem to be endless, I was thinking about perseverance.  There were points at which I could happily have given up, and sometimes did (temporarily).  Points at which I was grimly continuing, without much joy at all.  And that's process, isn't it?  Perseverance, persistence.  Which we learn from all sorts of places and experiences.  I know kids who just don't have 'it' - if something isn't instant, they abandon it.  And miss out on the satisfaction of a job, with which one persisted, being complete.  The lesson of a garden, too is patience - I hope in a couple of months to be picking parsley whenever I want it, eating cherry tomatoes and seeing a riot of colourful flowers.  For now, it's potential and progress, and patience.  I do not doubt that there will be more boston fern to weed out... (since it is a plant of patience, persistence and perseverance!)
.

No comments: