Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The scrapbooking cupboard project: 3

Am I prepared to admit that I toddled off to the hardware store AGAIN?  Not sure.  Keep reading....
.
Well, you knew I had the main paint already: Ta-daaaah, Dulux Young Leaf:


and a paintbrush that wishes it was elsewhere.  It's not an expensive one, and I'm not treating it all that well, what with wriggling it about in confined spaces and into many corners.
.
Why this colour?  Dunno.  Just felt like it.  I'd pondered pale dirty yellows, and not-too-sweet-pale pinks, and blues various, all reasonable options for a dollhouse, but when push came to shove in the hardware barn, this green was the one.
And it looks just dandy - see?


Fresh and cheerful and it's working for me.  I am not painting different colours in the different rooms of the dollhouse cupboard.  It's a cupboard, not about to be furnished as a house (given that there are a couple of other furnished/partly furnished dollhouses already in this house).  So the whole lot is now green:


inside and out.  This is after the first coat of paint.  Once the second coat is dry, I'll paint the roof and window frames.  It was madly windy today, so I'm sure they'll be dry tomorrow.  (Possibly with a little dust, but phooey to that).
.
And here's the record cupboard after its first coat:


Did I tell you the utter charm of the fact that the lower two sets of shelves are designed to easily accommodate LP records, so are around 14in high and deep?  And scrapbooking paper is sold in 12in squares?  Utterly charmingly amazingly perfect for my porpoises purposes.  Woohoo!  The top shelves - maybe smaller to accommodate 45s - will fit folders of smaller papers etc.
.
OK, I went to the hardware store again.  I needed handles for both cupboards, OK?  And, all right, I was thinking about window treatments (with eleven windows to consider).  So I got some itty-bitty cuphooks and the thinnest dowel they sell.  Pondered fabric for curtains (you know, I think there might just be some fabric around here somewhere - who'da'thunk??????!!!!!) and tonight I've got a little bit of sewing planned.  Easiest curtains I'll have ever made... (I decided to go with curtains rather than the acetate 'glass' option).
.
I am not going to add up the investment in these cupboards, I think.  It might be scary.  Still, it's going to be a decent size piece - each of the cupboards is about a metre in height (over 3 feet).  If tomorrow goes as planned, they'll be finished and ready to use.  (Except perhaps for window boxes, as suggested by TSS in a comment yesterday - I'm thinking about that).
.
If they'd done this on a homes and gardens show as a project, it would have taken ten minutes, tops.  They're much cleverer than me!  Or possibly have more minions to hand.
.
I also hope I will be able to plant some parsley tomorrow.  Ah, holidays...
.


No comments: