Monday, September 17, 2007

Mutton/lamb

Challenge: event I have to attend. Posh event. Well, posh-ish. My wardrobe is notably devoid of posh, given that it's not the kinda thing I attend much. Need to get something new - this is a special event.

See, I'm way too old to be lamb - and the event will be full of gorgeously dressed lamb - so I'm not going there in the fashion stakes. I refuse to consider being mutton dressed as lamb. It never works well...

but...

I'm way too young to be mutton (not just in my dreams).

Went looking for garb, and the choice was pretty much mutton or lamb. Not a lot in between. Don't fashion designers realise that there's a market for sheep in transition? Maybe with the odd delusion, but hey, that's OK. There'll be plenty enough of my life when mutton's the only respectable option....but I don't want to dress like a mother-of-the-bride, for instance.

Does anyone else know what I mean? You're thirtysomething or fortysomething and know that you're neither mutton nor lamb, but would like some nice clothing choices for those occasional, inescapable, posh occasions. And other ones, for that matter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I know EXACTLY what you mean. And try being PORKY mutton, too!!

Leah said...

Oh yes, I know just what you mean. Add in the plus-sized problem, and you've pretty much got no options. Unless Taking Shape has got it right this season...

Lindi said...

I know exactly what you mean! sigh.
Even at 50 something one doesn't feel or look old enough to dress like one's MIL.
I'm thinking of transforming into one of those eccentric arty dressers that occasionally pop up. Only trouble is, they are usually older than moi! LOL

Anonymous said...

me too, me too! And yep - plus sized just adds to the hassle. I have ONE balck skirt that fits, and two fine gauge twin sets - one red, one black. i add a jazzy scarf/wrap and call it done for funerals, weddings, art show openings, important meetings...LOVE what you decided on from TS, but generally can't handle the sticker shock - and the fact that the asymmetrical stuff makes me look like I've only just started to learn how to dress myself....