Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Quilt binding and thimble


0712 quilt in progress
Originally uploaded by rooruu.
This one's nearly finished, as you can see - just the rest of the binding and the label to go. The yellow/grey circle print, from Robyn Pandolph's Empress Woo collection, is the backing, and works well with the front. I don't necessarily aim to have the back and front of a quilt match, but I do like them to be friends, so to speak. Although sometimes it's fun if they're unlikely friends... It's headed for Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine for an issue in the first half of 2008. I haven't settled on a name yet.

This afternoon, I was visited bountifully by the thrifting fairies - I'll post a picture in the next day or two. Maggie Alderson in the SMH (Sydney Morning Herald) had a wonderful article about thrifting and home decorating recently, (which I mentioned in this blog post and her principles included:
A) Channel what you need - you will probably find it
B) Think outside the box
C) Transform things
D) Never stop looking
E) Buy it when you see it

and in order:
A) I might have done this...I certainly gave the idea some thought. I knew what I wanted, and the dimensions dictated by the space into which it will go
B) I did, but burgling from a seed of an idea gleaned from somewhere I don't remember - ?blog ?magazine?
C) I will
D) I won't....
E) I did. This afternoon.

2 comments:

Candy Schultz said...

When will we see photos of your studio?

rooruu said...

Soon...the thrifting fairies' find is for the studio too, and together with another item to be painted comprise an important part of the studio - I'd like to have them painted and in place before taking more photos....but thank you for your interest! It's only a little room but it's taking a while to get done as it's part of a wider house reorganisation. Cheers.