Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife (audiobook)

The novel (text) was a wonderful, absorbing read. The audiobook, which I'm now listening to for the second time on my journey to and from work each day, is equally absorbing. I decided to get the unabridged version (since missing bits of a text you know can be irritating). It's produced by Highbridge Audio, and is read by William Hope and Laurel Lefkow. Who are utterly brilliant.

I haven't spent much time listening to audiobooks, so it's been interesting to consider how it's different to reading. The pace is different, dictated by voice rather than eye-speed. The characters are inevitably fleshed by voice and tone and all the individuality and humanity of someone reading aloud.

Maybe I've been fortunate that my first audiobook experience for a long time has been such a superlative version (I believe it won an award or two) and of such a good book (James Fenimore, are you rotating slowly? tough, buddy).

The rrp for this is about $50US, but if you investigate Amazon Marketplace and/or eBay, you should be able to pick it up for less.

No comments: