Thursday, January 03, 2008

Brideshead Revisited


0712 Brideshead Revisited
Originally uploaded by rooruu.
In these lazy summer days, I've been watching a long-time favourite. When Brideshead Revisited first was on television in the early 1980s, and when I was repeated, I watched every episode avidly. It was before the days of video, of course, let alone any other way of seeing the series but by being in front of a television when it was broadcast.

It's some years since I watched it, and it was surprising, in some ways, to find how much I remembered, how much detail was still clearly in my mind. Jeremy Irons' wonderful voice narrating it, the universal excellence of the acting, the sets, costumes, the whole sense of a world created.

It remains a masterpiece.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching it too these last days.
But it's winter here.
Cheers from Portugal