Saturday, January 05, 2008

Brighton


Brighton
Originally uploaded by rooruu.
Another place I enjoyed visiting some years ago was Brighton. Maybe it was partly Georgette Heyer (Regency Buck, for one) and her mentions of the Brighton Pavilion, as built and decorated by the Prince Regent.

You mustn't have been able to photograph inside, as I don't seem to have any interior photos- although I remember how amazingly elaborate it was. Think I bought postcards, instead.

It may not have been too late in the afternoon when this photo was taken, looking over the sea front. In an English winter, the day closed in all too quickly. But I rather liked the moody atmosphere of the day's ending, the vintage bollards, the sea and pier.

Although to one now accustomed to Australia's sandy beaches, I'd forgotten the shingle ones of England. Isn't that why you travel, to find things you'd forgotten, and discover things you didn't know?

No comments: