Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Time


Selborne sundial and tree
Originally uploaded by rooruu.
It's not cold like this where I am today. It's stiflingly humid, hot, wish-it-was-winter weather. Probably better for a sundial to do its work, though.

I was thinking about time today, how it can seem to move at such varying speeds, way too fast, unbearably slow. Some things seem to be unending and then when they do end you just don't believe it's possible.

Although I rarely buy or borrow or listen to books on CD, I'm working through The Time Traveler's Wife, which I enjoyed so much reading in book form. The unabridged version - every word, over 15 CDs. Read by William Hope and Laurel Lefkow (take a bow, you're wonderful).

And maybe it's because I read visually much more than using audio books, but the book comes fresh to my ears. Not unfamiliar, but fresh. A spoken voice gives specific character and tone to Clare and Henry.

There's a film due later this year, and Henry will become Eric Bana, Clare, Rachel McAdams, a third version of the book with which to engage - a version for my eyes as well as ears and mind. I'm looking forward to it. I hope they do it well... (release date for the US is June 2008).

No comments: