Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quilt in progress

.
I finished this quilt over Easter, and it's off in the hands of the Australian Patchwork and Quilting editors, for publication in vol. 18 no. 4 in four or five months' time.  I used a bunch of scrap fabrics from other quilts in it - that green dotty fabric was always a favourite, so it's nice to have a bit included.   Looking at the quilt, though, I found to be a snapshot of a whole lot of quilts, and I could remember where many of the fabrics had been first used.  It's one of the nice things about scrap quilts that do use up your scraps, they also become visual memories; and if some of the other quilts have been given away and don't live with you any more, a reminder of each game you played with fabric, and what you made, and the pleasure of giving.
.
Mind you, I also make scrap quilts with charm packs, and they're fun too, the chance to include a little of a lot of ranges I like, without having to buy lots of fabric.  Charm packs exert a lethal influence on me...I've designed a number of projects with them, and while the current Australian Country Threads has another of my charm pack table runners in it, I'm now playing with yet another... Dang, those charm packs come with free hypnotic side effects!
.

No comments: