Last year at the Sydney Quilt Show, I saw Saffron Craig's fabrics, and especially liked this red bird (I've got a bird thing happening at the moment - bird china I've blogged about before, and some other bird homewares have found their way into the house). So I bought some (served with great style and care by her little daughter, who was helping on their stand at the time) and it became part of this quiltlet. Joadja was in Australian Patchwork & Quilting magazine vol. 17 no. 10. Saffron blogged about it here, and if you follow the links from there you can see and buy her gorgeous fabrics (always good to promote an Australian designer!). She still has stock of the red birds - and a couple of other colourways too, last time I checked.
For each quiltlet, I also write a one-page article about something related to/inspired by making that quiltlet. For Joadja, I wrote about Australian fabric designers (many doing short run/hand made fabrics). The magazine didn't have room for all the links to designers and retailers stocking their designs, so here they are for you to follow and enjoy.
- Quilt Fabric Delights http://www.quiltfabricdelights.com.au/
- Belsize Square http://www.belsizesquare.com.au/store/
- Sarah London http://sarah-london.blogspot.com/
- Saffron Craig http://saffroncraig.com/
- Prints Charming http://printscharming.com.au/
- Shannon Lamden (Aunty Cookie) http://www.auntycookie.com/
- Sprout Design http://www.sproutdesign.net.au/
- Ink and Spindle http://www.inkandspindle.com.au/
Of course there is always the online marketplace Etsy, which you can search by country, too.
- Etsy http://www.etsy.com/
- Etsy – Australian shops (not just fabric) http://www.etsy.com/shop_local.php?place=australia
Please let me know any other Australian fabric designers I should add to the list - drop me a note in the comments.