Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quiltlet: G is for Gundagai

.
It's past time I caught up with recording my quiltlet series for Australian Patchwork & Quilting magazine, so here's G is for Gundagai.  I used the Clover heart-shaped yoyo/Suffolk Puff gadget (without which...).  This was in APQ vol. 17 no. 7, out a little while ago (current issue is 17/11) - actually, Februaryish, now I remember, because the hearts seemed apt for Valentine's Day.
.
Why Gundagai?  I'm naming all these quiltlets after Australian place names, usually ones derived from Australian Aboriginal languages; in the magazine, I add some brief information about each place name.  Quilting is full (understandably so) of American place names - Ohio and Pennsylvania and so forth - so I figured I'd be a bit local and add some other place names to the mix.  Besides, the Aboriginal words in particular have a rhythm and individuality that's hard to beat.  GUN-da-GUY - just rolls off the tongue.
.

No comments: