Sunday, October 05, 2008

Current reading


0810 current reading
Originally uploaded by rooruu
Travelling northwards on the pile: The Story of Edward Sawtelle, which I first heard about through Amazon publicity. It's a version of Hamlet (John Marsden's just brought out a novelised version of Hamlet too) and has garnered enough positive reviews to give it a whirl. Oprah now likes it too: although I'm not a slavish follower of her choices and haven't read many of them, as far as I'm aware. Still, I hugely respect the promotion she's given to books and reading.

The Historian. I'm part-way through this and finding it a bit of a battle. Persistently ominous without the om turning into anything else, and I'm not sure that I care much what happens to any of the characters. I've read good reviews of it, but it's yet to grab me.

The Good Thief. Another new one, well-reviewed where I've read reviews of it. Haven't started it yet.

44 Scotland St. This is the first Alexander McCall Smith I've tried - I know plenty of folks who enjoy his work but I just haven't got around to it yet. I kinda like the setup of assorted stories of people living at the one place, so we'll see how it goes.

Dairy Queen: one I'm reading for adolescent fiction purposes. Which means that sometimes you have a lovely time, and sometimes you have duty.

What's on your current reading pile? Leave a link in the comments so I can browse your choices...

.

No comments: