Sunday, October 12, 2008

Irish soda bread


0810 soda bread
Originally uploaded by rooruu
Yesterday I had meant to be at the opening of The Shopping Sherpa's doll house exhibition (see button top right). But circumstances intervened. So today I made one of my favourite foods, because it always cheers me up. Love Irish soda bread. With butter, for sure. Tried it with smoked salmon, and that worked well too. Yum.

In case you don't know it, it's an unyeasted wholemeal bread - gorgeous hot from the oven, good the next day when warm, if it lasts that long.  Doesn't keep, but why should it?  I tried a whole bunch of recipes till I found the one I always use now.

(OK, if you ask I'll post the recipe on this blog...I don't have it by me just now.  It does have a couple of secret - but not obscure - ingredients you don't find in standard recipes.)

No comments: