Saturday, September 16, 2006

Reading: Bryson & Marchetta

What riches! Two of my favourite authors each popping a sprog.

Bill Bryson's travel books are enduringly wonderful, so after the taster from the Lost Continent, "I was born in Des Moines. I guess somebody had to be." here is his memoir of childhood.

Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Francesca are favourite teenage novels - Melina Marchetta has such an ear and pen for creating a voice. She's not prolific, so each new work is to be savoured. Hear an interview with Melina.

Phooey! - NO time for reading this weekend. They'll just haunt me till I can start. And then, which first????

This is one of my favourite quotes about reading:

I read because the words that build the story become mine, to build my life.

I read not for happy endings but for new beginnings; I'm just beginning myself and I wouldn't mind a map.

I read because I have friends who don't, and young though they are, they are beginning to run out of material.

I read because every journey begins in the library, and it's time for me to start packing.

I read because one of these days I may want to leave this town, and I'm going to go everywhere and meet everybody, and I want to be ready.


(Robert Peck)

1 comment:

kirsten said...

FABULOUS quote !!! Love it love it!