Tuesday, March 11, 2008

100 Word Stories: The Ritz

At eighty, Mrs Candley’s morning walk was rather less brisk than it had been at seventy. "Not old," she would mutter to herself, "not old"…as though somehow saying the words would make them true. She loved her little house, and its abundant garden, and the memories of Edward that were in every room.

“We live in the Ritz!” he’d say, surveying the kitchen, and the view of the vegetable garden beyond. She still grew herbs, and tomatoes, and energetic scarlet runner beans, with help from the boy next door. I’d be scared of somewhere grand, she thought. This is home.

2 comments:

Candy Schultz said...

Really Ruth you have to try and publish these. They are spectacular.

rooruu said...

Thank you, Candy. I really appreciate the feedback. I write them to amuse myself and keep my fictionwriting brain turning over, and it's just lovely to know others are enjoying them too. I'll have to explore their potential...