Thursday, January 29, 2009

Alexander McCall Smith books

Now why would this photo make you think that this house has been holding an Alexander McCall Smith readfest?

With the holidays over, the pace has slowed a bit. But so far, having read all the published Isabel Dalhousie books, the first No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book (the second will be here any day) and being partway through the first 44 Scotland St book, I've enjoyed each in their different but similar/similar but different ways (the sly observational humour in each of them, for instance).

Just have to get his latest daily novel, Corduroy Mansions, onto my bloglines (which it doesn't seem to want to do, so I've added it to my favourites Feeds folder. If you know how to bloglines it, do let me know!). You can find Corduroy Mansions here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/corduroymansionsbyalexandermcca/
and there's a daily audio feed/podcast as well as the text feed.

What's really happening? Up early, it's hot. Go to work, it's hot. Work hard, it's hot. Come home, the house is hot despite drawn curtains. Sleep, but it's hot. Wake up, it's still hot. Seven days of 35degC or more (that's 95degF) is rather wearying. Lots to do at work, though, and friendly faces. Roll on March (when it cools down a bit and is less humid).

.

2 comments:

Pam said...

That sounds very very hot. Be assured, Scotland Street is quite chilly right now.

Janellybelly said...

My MIL loves these books & has been encouraging me to read them. I have just finished 'The Bronze Horseman' by Paullina Simons. I sobbed as much as I did at the end of Dragonfly in Amber!
Janelle :)